Реклама



Актуально

Полезная информация

Погода



Актуально



English page

Dear guest! Welcome to Bereza!

     Beryoza district was founded  in January 1940. It is located in the central part of Brest region. Beryoza (before Beryoza-Kartuzskaya) is a main town.

      The history of the land settlement dates back to ancient times.  The first hunters appeared in this district 9 thousand years BC. It is known from archaeological monuments of the stone age, ancient settlements near Zarechye and Sporovo. Also bronze age settlements were found in Zditovo.

    

    Beryoza was mentioned in 1477. In the16th century the town became the property of the Sapieha. Kazimir Sapieha was a son of a famous chancellor Lev Sapieha. Kazimir founded the Carthusian monastery (1648-1666). Italian architects took part in the building.

     During the Northern war the Polish king Augustus the Strong and Russian Emperor Peter the First visited this monastery. And even the Swedish king Charles the Twelfth was here. After the uprising of 1863 the monastery was dismantled. The barracks were built. In the 1930s a concentration camp for political prisoners of Western Belarus was placed in barracks. Nowadays we can see only the gate, the tower and the part of the hospital. The picture gallery and children’s creativity center are placed here.

      Novye Pesky is widely spread over Lake Chyornoe and included Starye Pesky village and the remains of an ancient homestead of the noble active landlord and maecenas, the founder of many temples. The entrance gate with multistage towers, resembling the gate of a medieval castle, and the former stable, that has been rebuilt into people’s accommodation, of this richromantic   homestead, are still    preserved.

    There are a lot of monuments on the land of Beryoza, that are connected with the  dramatic events of the Second World War .The station Bronnaya Gora is gravely famous. More than 50 thousand people  were  killed in 1942: there were the Jews from Beryoza town, Brest and other places. The symbolic rails, stretching into the sky, are the parts of the monument that is situated at the place of their death.

   
  
“The Defense of Zditovo” is a glorious page in the history of the war of partisans, when the Nazi fascists assaulted their front units against the  partisans. From 3 to 11 April 1944, there were heavy fights, the partisans took up defensive positions along the Dorogobuzh river, and the fascists made several attacks a day using air forces, artillery and mortars. But the partisans didn’t surrender, and when they began to run out of ammunition, they moved to the second defense line in the depth of swamps, where the Nazi fascists were afraid to pop into.

  

next page >>

<< back







T